Wednesday, April 12, 2006

update again

What an interesting day! Started with water polo finals in the morning where I witnessed one of the best shows of Rafflesian Spirit in a long while. The guys fought all the way and never said die although they were trailing. Although they lost to HCI 5-4, they reminded me of why I have been so proud to be a Rafflesian ever since I was 13. That imdomitable, can-do spirit that fights till the end was personified by Kory, Chen Kai, Pengfei et al. and they should be real proud of themselves. Cheers guys and may you bring back the gold next year!

Just watched MM Lee adress a group of journos and undergrads on the tele today. You may not agree with his politics totally but today, I was absolutely sold on his vision for Singapore. The man is nearing 83 and his intellect and memory are as sharp as ever. Not everyone will say he is a saint but here is a person who is absolutely sure of what he wants for Singapore, keeps abreast of what happens among the younger generation and is unafraid to pursue what he feels is the best vision for Singapore, even if it flies in the face of conventional liberal Western democratic ideal. I may be cyncial and skeptical at times of politics in Singapore but I was thoroughly impressed by LKY tonight. Whew, a true Rafflesian indeed...